4.09.2007

The Pagan - A Fat Odyssey

Something I read over at Witchvox the other day really rang a chord with me. I run around daily and see lots and lots of pagans...here in Germany, it's not a problem what you are, just don't broadcast it...and so I get to see a lot. This Witchvox article put into words what I've been seeing over here (and what is going on in the states, as well).

Why are a large percentage of pagans overweight, or really not in shape?

I can ask this because I'm a pagan, and I'm overweight. Oh sure, I can contribute it to a lot of factors: German chocolate (a doozy), 5 hours of commute and eating what I can find when I can find it, weird hours, weekends of eating with the Hubs, but when it comes down to it, I believe I have a lack of willpower.

You got it. I think I had a feeling of "well I'm pagan, I'm special, don't need to worry about all those outer trappings other people use". I was arrogant, and snobby, and I've paid for it.

I've gotten fat and there is no excuse to be like this. It'll end up killing me in the end, and lowering my quality of life. SO.

So, starting this week, I'm going to get up 30 minutes before I must, and do a taped workout. Every day. I'm going to watch what I eat at lunch and snacktimes will be dried apples or other fruits. This is killing me.

Literally.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I really need to lose some weight also. Sometimes I look in the mirror and wonder where 'I' went. So far all I have done about it is complain but I think I am getting closer to committing to lose it. Either that or I'll gain about 50 more so I can get a gastric bypass. Nah....I wouldn't...would I?

Mutableblue said...

I think it's a fair reflection of the human race and not really anything to do with being Pagan. That being said I have a ton to lose and my last several days of heavy work has kick started my exercise regimen. Now to reclaim my healthy eating again. Tomorrow we head to the co-op for healthy stuff.

AutumnZ said...

TeeHee. Speaking of fat....

Guess what I got in the mail today!! A shoebox full of chocolate! Yum! I have all ready eaten WAY more than my daily allotment of chocolate. And so have my children. They were thrilled! I told them a week or so ago that you had sent some, and they could hardly wait for it to get here. They have each eaten a bar of the Milke(?) (with the cow on it)

Chris is thrilled also. He spent a summer as an exchange student in Germany (Wolbeck) and speaks pretty good German, and is a complete Deutshophile (if there is such a word)

Thanks so much!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Gen, where have you been? Haven't heard from you in quite a while. Hope all is well!

Labradoryte said...

what was the article? this is an interest of mine as well...

Can you post a link?

thanks!