12.22.2006

Weihnachtsmarkts and Yule tide

Hoping you all had a nice yule, or winter solstice.

Last night I met a friend at the weihnachtsmarkt, or christmas market. I thought it was a good way to begin my Yule evening, as the Cat didn't want to go outside and the DH was out of town.

Every year, most all cities in germany have a weihnachtsmarkt, which is typically located in the city center. It's an old tradition; the Dresden weihnachtsmarkt started in 1434; nuerenberg in the early 1600s. Everybody gets together and has weihnachtsmarkt goodies, including:

- glühwein - a hot, mulled wine with herbs, sugar, and orange juice added. For those extra alcoholic types, a slug of brandy or amaretto can be added, but be warned - it kicks hard. (Personal experience)
- mandeln - absolute bliss, and my personal favourite. sugar and cinnamon coated almonds, roasted until the coating is hard, and purchased by the 100, 200 or 500 gm sack. Bliss.
- crepes - although french, the crepe is a german favourite. the cinnamon and sugar one is the basic, but always a goodie; the husband goes for the nutella (a chocolate spread here) and banana inside.

and other things, including dried eels (quite the specialty but UGH how gross), candy, and lebkuchen (gingerbread to wear, not eat).

The interesting thing I noticed last night about the Weihnachtsmarkt was almost the complete absence of any Christmas-related articles. Most every stall (each dolled up, about the size of a garden house, for those wondering) contained crafts. Like carved wooden things, paintings, etc. However, rock stalls (my personal favourite), paranormal stalls and country-specific stalls reigned (like Tibet stalls, we had a couple of those).

It was perfectly logical for a Heathen and a Shinto to walk around, gobbling up Holland french fries with toppings (called Pommes here) and drinking hot chocolate with slugs of amaretto (yummmmy). We haunted all the rock stalls and I found two good-sized hunks of rose quartz, one for me and one for the DH. I found some others, too, that I'll get tonight.

I wanted my first Yule evening to be filled with darkness, laughter, and fun. We had a great time. It was a fitting start, I think. I then came home and lit my little "Yule log" - with the help of the Cat - and was content. Tonight I cook my after-Yule potato soup for everyone - the dogs, the Cat, the parents in law, and me. We'll all eat by candlelight, and enjoy the shorter night.

2 comments:

AutumnZ said...

You are a lucky duck. Any Yule celebration that I have will be all on my own. No one in the very Baptsit South of the USA acknowledges Yule at all. I and my DH and bairns are going to a local Christmas light extravaganza. And tomorrow just before dawn I will have my private ritual on the deck in the backyard.

Genhywfar said...

Hey AutumnZephyr,

Well, the cat is a big part of it, but the Weihnachtsmarkt is so multi-denominational that its completely not churchy.