1.24.2007

Hmm. Unreasonable and irrational?

The New York Times (that bastion of right-sided correctness) has weighed in on the subject of magical thinking in an article titled: Magical Thinking It kind of makes me laugh...if you have a high patience level, go read it.

I was just reading through it (it does seem geared to those basic parlor trick types) when a paragraph jumped out at me:

"It is of interest to note,” Dr. Keinan concluded, “that persons who hold magical beliefs or engage in magical rituals are often aware that their thoughts, actions or both are unreasonable and irrational. Despite this awareness, they are unable to rid themselves of such behavior."

Iiiiiiinteresting. I can admit to feeling self-conscious, worried that I was not visualizing correctly, or that I was not in the right level in my head to have the spell be successful, but *never* have I felt that my thoughts and actions in my magical way are unreasonable and irrational. Have you?

And didn't one say once that any level of technology above the basic level might as well be explained away to another person as magic?

****
Intuition level: good
Feeling: nervous yet calm, how random
plans: haircut and dye today, interview tomorrow!

Please light your power candles! ;)

2 comments:

AutumnZ said...

One fine day, magic will be "discovered" by science. Until then, we can just quietly going about doing what we know to do. :-)

Break a leg with your interview. Energy being sent!

Debbi said...

Wasn't so very long ago, anything that couldn't be explaned away by the church, was considered to be magic.
I can't help but think that Faith is just as much magic as anything. We can't see it, touch it or taste it, but we believe in it. Magical.