1.12.2007

Humans: The Self decorating ape

First off: Yesterday I was feeling particularly low and darkness was bringing my soul down, but you all are amazing and I felt pretty restored (at least my faith in humanity). You are a wonderful person (speaking to all of you individually) and I find my life becoming so much richer through this blog and my way. You guys rock.

Sappiness over; back to our regularly scheduled programming. ;)

The New York Times had an interesting interview with Nina Jablonski of Penn State concerning her new book about skin. One very interesting quote got me thinking; she referred to humans as the "self-decorating ape".

How cool is that? Virtually everyone on this planet has that in common: some sort of hairstyle, jewelry, tattoos, etc...everybodys got something. Some ornate, some austure...I think that pagans/witches/heathens have some of the more ornate self decoration styles....

What do I have?

- A solid silver dragon celtic torq bracelet, from way back (Gael Song '92, isn't it funny. That bracelet could tell some stories). It's been 'round my wrist since then almost continuously. I plan on getting a braided Raven torq from Mystic Caravan soon to be my dragons' friend.
- The Wide Celtic Band - I wear it on my right forefinger, soon to be traded out for my new Ogham ring, of which I'm waiting (quite) impatiently for...
- The Lion/Dragon ring, which I found and mysteriously fits my beloved torq bracelet...(worn above the Celtic band, I have fiendishly long fingers)
- my darlin's wedding ring (on the right hand, as is custom here in Germany),
- my opal ring (can't find the picture, they must be all out, pity) on my left middle finger,
- The Heron band on my little left pinky (absolutely gorgeous, this ring)

and, 'round the neck, my dragon (with moonstone) pendant on a simple black leather thong that makes my (seeming) interest in dragons really stick with you. (I didn't realize how many dragon-themed things I have until just now. How bizarre.)

I searched long and hard for jewelry that would explain (to those who know how to look) exactly what I was without going for the whole black velvet crazy gothic look (seems to be particularly popular over here) or some other thing, which is so not me. I feel like Celtic knots signify me and my spiritual connection a heck of a lot more than a pentacle. JMO. I also adore the internet. If you look hard enough, you can find *anything* on here.

As to hair, I wear mine extremely short and dark red (think Judi Dench short) and as to style, very deep colors and simple cuts. I want a tattoo in between my shoulderblades but I'm afraid I'm a weenie, so probably won't get it. (but I really do dream of it...maybe some day I'll screw up the courage. Does anyone have one? Did they hurt????).

Quite the monkey I am! ooh ooh ee ee!

And you - how do you self-decorate yourself?? Do you tie it in with your way?

2 comments:

Debbi said...

I have only one tattoo. It is a wolf that is on my left shoulder and it is about four inches long and wide in places. Funny thing is I'd never thought about a tattoo, never wanted one, never thought about them one way or another.
About 8 years ago for my birthday the girlfriends and I went out for lunch. They asked me if there was anything I would not do for myself? was there something I'd always wanted but never would do?
I blurted out that I'd thought about a tattoo...and within an hour I was on the table getting my wolf. I went in thinking I wanted a little bitty sun. I came out with this big wolf. lol.

Genhywfar said...

I think I slowly work up to getting one, finally...I keep preparing myself, and thinking of designs...I had actually gone to the trouble of drawing one myself (a celtic-type bulls head, as I'm a taurus) but I#m so afraid of the pain!

LOL Does it hurt??